THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, March 22, 2010

Our God is REAL

Isaiah 41:24


"Indeed you are nothing, and your work is nothing; he who chooses you is an abomination."

Isaiah 41: 21-29 is all about how idols are nothing and are futile. The context of this verse is when God talks about the futility of the idols and He is talking to Isaiah about it.

Idols. If we look at Exodus 20:4-6, the 3rd commandment is read on the tablets containing the 10 commandments that God has given Moses in Mt. Sinai. God said that we should not have any carved images where we should worship it. God is the only God, the real God, all powerful God.

What are idols? These are carved images that people use as a replica of a god. But as what the verse said, idols cannot do anything. It cannot interact, it cannot cause something to happen and it does not do anything. It does not hear, it does not have any compassion and it is lifeless and is just a mere thing that people pray to. But idols are not just carved images. Even television, clothes, shopping and money can be idols.

For me, anything that takes my focus on God is an idol. I personally have gone through that time when I have had myself an idol, but I didn't realize it until one day, it dawned on me that my relationship with God not almost not there anymore. I had movies to watch, TV shows to wait for, music that takes my mind off from Christ and books that makes me daydream about things rather than focus my mind on serving and thanking God. I have never admitted this but right now, as I continue my path to being closer to God, the realization of these things made me admit to myself that, yes, I had idols before even if I didn't realize it.

The Twilight series, all 4 of the books. It took me about 3 days to finish them all. I even read it about 8-10 times, all 4 of them. Then after reading them all and I felt a void in myself, yearning for God's presence, I asked myself "How many times have I read the Bible?". I've never finished reading the Bible in my entire life and this is makes me very shameful about myself. When I was reading novels so quick and was looking forward to reading another one, all that it caused me were sleepless nights, mood swings and sometimes, bad temper. I ended up being a slouch the whole day, just reading the novels. After I decided to stop reading them and start with the Bible, a change has come on me. I started to have better moods, I feel God's presence when He leads me to read a verse that can impact my life and I yearn to read more about His word. Leaving all these idols can bring change, not only to ourselves but also with our relationship with God.

So as a thought:
With Christ in our hearts and minds, our lives would be better. We would feel more happy and would not worry about anything because God is with us. Why don't we leave those things that do not lead us to Christ and makes us want to yearn for the world instead. It's time that we go closer to God because with Him in our lives, we don't have to worry. He is our Shepherd, He won't leave us nor forsake us.

0 comments: